In October, around 1,200 game publishers from around the globe will be presenting the latest trends and developments from the world of analogue games on - yet again - an even bigger exhibition area at SPIEL '19.
This means the world's biggest fair for board games can already announce another record year several months before the event even begins. The 190,000-plus visitors to the fair can once again expect a true explosion of innovations in 2019.
In addition to the 1,400 new games that will be showcased to a broad audience for the first time at the fair, there will also be a wide range of further exciting innovations:
SPIEL '19 will already be celebrating a premiere on Wednesday, 23 October 2019, with the SPIEL-PREVIEW-NIGHT. Between 6 pm and 1 am, game enthusiasts can try out countless new games to their heart's delight in the Congress Center CC South of the Messe Essen trade fair venue one day before the fair officially begins. Game explainers from the game publishers will be in place at many tables, and the programme will be rounded off by a big open-space gaming area with a games libary. The trade fair restaurant will be serving food and drinks for the refreshment of attendees.
The new EDUCATORS' DAY on Friday, 25 October 2019 during SPIEL '19 is designed to appeal to educators, teachers and other interested persons.
Throughout the day, the Saal Berlin will stage panels and presentations free of charge featuring respected experts and scientists from around the world, providing valuable information to fair visitors and giving them a chance to join in the discussion on:
- board games as drivers of change in education and society,
- the potential of games to become a core medium for informal as well as formal education contexts,
- studies proving that board games make people smarter.
- provide practical tips on forming a "Board Game Group" in schools,
- present tried-and-tested concepts to encourage "strong-playing schools",
- describe their experiences of using board games in primary schools,
- present game concepts developed for history lessons.
On this day, educators will also enjoy access to the New Releases Showcase of SPIEL '19, where they can gain an overview of the new board games.
Alongside the current Entrance West and Entrance South, the recently refurbished Entrance East with 3,000 additional wardrobe spaces and a large number of ticket sales points will also be open for the first time. This entrance will be the main entrance for visitors buying their tickets on-site.
There will also be individual ticket sales points at the Entrance South.
There will no longer be any sales points at the Entrance West, and only visitors with tickets purchased in advance will be admitted there. Advance ticket holders can also gain access at all other entrances, however.
Tickets for SPIEL '19 and the SPIEL-PREVIEW-NIGHT will be available from the beginning of August via the website of the organiser at www.spiel-messe.com. Prices are as follows:
One-Day Ticket for SPIEL
- Adults 15,-- EUR
- Children (4 to 12 years) 8,-- EUR
- Schoolchildren, students, disabled persons 12,-- EUR
- Families: max. 5 people (max. 2 adults, children no older than 12 or with school student ID) 36,-- EUR
Four-Day Ticket for SPIEL
- Adults 37,-- EUR
- Children (4 to 12 years) 21,-- EUR
- Schoolchildren, students, disabled persons 28,-- EUR
SPIEL '19 PREVIEW-NIGHT 35,-- EUR
We will send you your accreditation documents in August with the next press release, when we will also keep you updated on the many highlights and the rest of the fair programme. What we would like to do today, however, is to provide you with information on the relevant schedule for representatives of the media in order to facilitate your planning:
- The fair begins, as always, with the traditional press conference at 11 am on Wednesday, 23 October 2019. We would be grateful if you could enter this date in your diary today, and we will send you a separate invitation with an accreditation form with the next press information.
- At the press conference, we will present the winners of the innoSPIEL 2019 Award and this year’s Deutscher SpielePreis Award. You will have an opportunity to get to grips with the winning games in the New Releases Showcase. Authors and representatives of the publishers will be happy to give interviews.
- The press conference will be followed by the New Releases Showcase in Hall 1A, providing all journalists with the chance to see the full range of new games for themselves.
- Wednesday evening will see the first-ever SPIEL '19 PREVIEW-NIGHT from 6 pm onwards. The number of tickets is limited, which means we are unfortunately unable to offer free tickets to representatives of the media, but tickets will be available at preferential rates. Please contact us if you would like any tickets.
- On Thursday, 24 October 2019, at 8 pm we will be presenting the Deutscher SpielePreis Award at a festive ceremony together with the representatives of the game publishers, the city of Essen as well as journalists and authors. The evening will take place in a relaxed atmosphere with good food and will provide you with the ideal opportunity to obtain information about the sector, talk about topical issues or simply get to know each other in person. (You will receive a separate invitation to this evening event.)
Friedhelm Merz Verlag (organiser of SPIEL '19)