RED BARTON & the SKY PIRATES is a good old fashioned up, down and sideways scrolling dogfight of a game with your ancient aircraft forever moving onward and into the mouths of the enemy cannon.
It's like a one-man (or one plane) Charge of the Light Brigade into the valley of death and destruction.
click pic for official trailer For the Steam Store website concerning this game click here
You are RED BARTON, General of the King's Guard and daredevil top gun pilot in the remote corner of the Milky Way known as Diamondia.
The game is reminiscent of the games I used to play on my Atari 800, such as the Red Baron and Blue Max, and requires a good handspeed on your keyboard and both the right and left mouse buttons.
It uses the regular WASD with W being up and S being Down whilst A & D are as expected Left and Right. The left mouse button fires the nose cannon and the right mouse button fires off the wing attached rockets, a reticule allows you some aim for the cannon but is little help for the rockets, you have to judge for yourself when firing these.
Naturally as you progress you can arm your tri-plane with the latest in current technology and raise your firepower several-fold but then also as expected the enemy get stronger and more dangerous.
It's a rip-roaring fun, edge of seat, game with sharply detailed graphics despite its retro style gameplay.
If, like me, you sometimes have the urge to let off steam through your computer then this is a super way to do it. You can play solo or cooperative, either way it is enjoyable. The mid-air explosions are very well handled and you get at least three lives before you are forced to start over. Each time you should manage to progress a bit further down the road until you know when, where and how to dodge the enemy gun emplacements and which ones to ensure you take out. Fly under the balloon mines or blow a hole through them as you approach but don't try to fly over or through them as that's instant explosion and you lose your plane.
There is a bit of a back story but to be honest I was more interested in trying to survive and shoot as many enemy as I could to really take in the significance of what I was doing - I was just following orders !!!
Great graphis, great fun, simple controls, what more could you ask for ?
Red Barton and the Sky Pirates is an exciting 3rd person arcade combat flight shooter reminiscent of games like Star Fox back on the classic N64 and the legendary “After Burner” arcade. It is set in an imaginative and original cartoon style steampunk world with superb hand-drawn illustration quality in-game graphics. The player plays the role of Red Barton, a pilot of a steampunk-style World War I era fighter airplane fighting his way through a menagerie of enemies, on a mission to save his love and honor.
- Single Player Campaign: Play the role of Red Barton and fight your way through a variety of enemies, on a mission to save your love and honor. Enjoy a sophisticated story line with future updates to Diamondtopia universe such as locations, factions, lore, quests, achievements and much more.
- Night Mode: Relive the original adventure with different lighting and difficulty levels.
- Split Screen COOP: Play with your friend in this local coop mode.
- Customization options: Customize your fighter airplane with aircraft and weapons upgrade as well as aircraft skins.
- Weapons Galore: Blast your way through using a variety of weapons from Machineguns to Canons and Rockets.
- Amazing Original Soundtrack
About Red Barton and the Sky Pirates
Red Barton and The Sky Pirates is a Schism Worldwide development of a Kosta Zdravković game design arcade combat flight shooter, developed with Unity since February 2016. In Red Barton and The Sky Pirates, players will embark on an adventure to save Red’s love and honor through different gorgeous hand-drawn in game illustration.
- OS: Windows 7+
- Processor: SSE2 instruction set support.
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: Compatible Shader Model 3.0
- DirectX: Version 11
- Storage: 2 GB available space